Eating in a restaurant can be a fun thing to do with friends,family or with your colleagues , but if you are just learning English, then all the new words can be confusing. So here we have come up with some important and useful phrases to help you eat a restaurant in an English-speaking country or in any Hi-Fi restaurant.
Booking a Table:
- I’d like to reserve / book a table for four at 8pm, please.
- I’d like to reserve / book a table for a party of six at 8pm, please.
- I’d like to book a table for two at 8 in the name of Hand, please.
- Could we have a table by the window, please?
- Could we have a non-smoking table, please?
- Could we have a table away from the kitchen/toilets, please?
- Could we have a booth, please?
- Could you make sure it’s a quiet table, please?
Placing an Order:
- I’d like the ………….., please.
- For starters, I’ll have the soup and for the main course, I’d like the roast beef.
- Could I have chips instead of new potatoes, please?
- What is the house special today?
- Is there anything you would recommend?
- Could I see the wine menu, please?
- I’ll have a bottle of the South African Cabernet Sauvignon.
- I’ll have a glass of house red/white, please.
- Which wine would you recommend?
Arriving at Hotel:
- Good evening, the name is Hand. I have a table booked for six.
- Do you have the menu in English/German/French …, please?
- Do you have a high chair for young children, please?
- Could we have a table over there, please?
- I’m sorry but I asked for a table by the window.
- Could we have an extra chair, please?
Complaining About Food:
- Excuse me, but my meal is cold.
- Excuse me, we’ve been waiting for over half an hour for our drinks.
- I’m sorry but I ordered the side salad not the vegetables.
- Excuse me this steak is overdone, I ordered rare.
- I’m afraid this wine tastes corked.
- Excuse me this wine isn’t chilled properly.
During/After the Meal:
- Could we have some more bread, please?
- Do you have a pepper mill?
- Could I have some dressing, please?
- Could you pass me the salt, please?
- That was delicious. My compliments to the chef.
- Could I have the bill, please?
- Do you take Visa?
- We’d like separate bills, please.
- Is service included?
- No, please. This is on me. (When you wish to pay for everyone.)
How to recommend food to another person in a restaurant
- What do you recommend from the menu? I like the specials of the day.
- You must try the steak it is really good here.
- Here’s the main menu and the specials are on here.
- Why don’t you try the local speciality?
- The chicken curry is very good.
- It comes with mixed vegetables and boiled potatoes.