Tips to Achieve a Good Band Score in IELTS Exam
Tips to Achieve a Good Band Score in IELTS Exam – More than 3 million candidates appear for the International English Language Testing System Exam, better known by its acronym IELTS. However, not all applicants achieve a high band score, especially in the first attempt, leading to frustration and discontentment.
Get Desired High IELTS Band Score
Call us now at 9878873446
There can be many reasons for failing to achieve the desired band score. Some of which may be:
- Trying to gather too many information
IELTS aspirants these days spend a lot of time gathering as much information as possible from YouTube Channels, Facebook pages, and expert Twitter handles that publish extensively about IELTS preparation tips. However, doing so leads to an ‘overload’ of information which eventually creates confusion and frustration in the minds of aspirants, resulting in overall dissatisfactory performance.
- Not working on your weak spots
Instead of wasting time by reappearing again and again for the examination, utilize the same to identify and work on your weak areas. Out of the 4 modules, once you have identified the parts that you need to improve, start devoting more time to it.
- Setting unrealistic goals and expectations
Don’t think of jumping straight from band 5 to band 7. Setting such unrealistic goals will only hamper your preparation. Move slowly and step-by-step with a realistic band score in mind.
- Not getting enough time to study
Some IELTS exam aspirants do not find enough time to study. This could be because of family duties, professional commitments, and lack of motivation owing to the aforesaid factors.
Now since we have an overview of the major hurdles in the path to achieving a 7+ band score. Let’s take a look at a few tips and tricks that could help you prepare better for your upcoming IELTS examination. In order to achieve a decent band score, let’s categorize the tips according to the individual sections.
Tips to Improve Listening
- Develop a habit of listening to radio and podcasts every day.
- If the option is available, always watch movies and TV shows in the English language.
- Make yourself comfortable with all listening type questions, such as multiple-choice, matching, and labeling.
- During the exam, always pay attention to the audio instructions provided. You will not find them in the instruction booklet.
Tips to improve Reading
- Practice guessing the meaning of a word from the context.
- Develop a habit of reading English newspapers, books, magazines, and journals daily.
- Current affairs are really important as they feature in many passages. So keep yourself updated with all that’s happening around the world.
- Increase your reading speed slowly and gradually.
- Lay emphasis on reading techniques such as scanning, skimming, and intensive reading.
- During the reading test, make sure that you make good use of your time. Do not invest more than 1 minute on a question. You can return to this question later.
Tips to improve Speaking
- Practice speaking as much as possible. Stand in front of the mirror and talk to yourself with confidence.
- All online dictionaries come with audio features to listen to the accepted pronunciation of each word. Make extensive use of this feature.
- While listening to a radio show or watching a movie on TV, ask yourself in-between ad breaks as to the feedback of what you have just seen or heard. Answer that in English and record it on your phone for future reference.
- During the exam, if you do not comprehend a question, don’t hesitate to ask the examiner to repeat it.
Tips to Improve Writing
- To organize your ideas well, search model letters/graphs/diagrams online and analyze them thoroughly.
- Practice Essay writing daily. Search for IELTS exam essays online and analyze them thoroughly as well.
- During the IELTS academic module exam, make sure that you have understood the question well. Check whether you have been asked to give an opinion, to draw a comparison, to discuss causes, or to provide solutions to a problem.
- If you are appearing for the IELTS General training module, do not start writing your essay or letter without planning them out first.
IELTS Learning, Contact us now at 9878873446
We hope that you find these section-wise tips useful for your upcoming IELTS exam. If you wish to take up our online IELTS course for an all-round preparation, feel free to get in touch with our counselor right away.